Senate Bill No. 1335
An act relating to alcoholic beverages; amending chapter 5, title 23, Idaho code, by the addition of a new section 23-509A, Idaho code, to define a term, to authorize manufacturers of distilled spirits to offer sample tastings on their premises, to prohibit a manufacturer from charging for samples, to provide for the size of samples, to provide the required age for servers, to prohibit the serving of samples to anyone under the legal drinking age and to provide that samples shall be purchased from the Idaho State Liquor Division and taxes shall be paid by the manufacturer.
Be it enacted by the Legislature of the State of Idaho:
SECTION 1 - That chapter 5, title 23, Idaho code, be, and the same is hereby amended by the addition thereto of a NEW SECTION, to be known and designated as section 23-509A, Idaho code, and to read as follows:
23-509A. Sampling tasting for manufacturers of distilled spirits.
- (1) For purposes of this section, "manufacturers of distilled spirits" means a distillery that holds a permit issued by the alcohol and tobacco tax and trade bureau (TTB) and is licensed by the state of Idaho as an Idaho state manufacturer of distilled spirits.
- (2) A manufacturer of distilled spirits may offer sample tastings on the premises of such distillery.
- (3) A manufacturer of distilled spirits shall not charge for sample tastings.
- (4) Sample sizes for tasting events permitted pursuant to the provisions of this section shall not exceed one-quarter of one ounce (0.25 oz).
- (5) The maximum number of samples allowed shall not exceed three (3) samples per person in any twenty-four (24) hour period.
- (6) Samples at distilleries may be served only by persons twenty-one (21) years of age or older.
- (7) In accordance with state law, distilled spirits shall be served only to persons that are twenty-one (21) years of age or older.
- (8) The distilled spirits for sample tastings shall be purchased from the Idaho State Liquor Division, and all taxes for such distilled spirits shall be paid by the manufacturer of distilled spirits.
S1335 Distilled Spirit Sampling Bill